Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mr. Tuesday, I'm pleased to meet you

Today was a fairly good day. I know, you're probably thinking that someone else has taken over this blog. With all the negative posts lately, a positive statement is quite a shock.

The ride into work this morning was pretty hairy. We had a system move through that dumped a good 3 inches of snow in less than 30 minutes right before rush hour. I think there was an accident on every block, and sirens screaming from every direction. It was pretty slippery, and our usual 7 minute trip turned into 25. It did make for an interesting start to the day. Just a little excitement to wake me fully and have me actually happy to arrive at the office.

With the help of a few doses of tramadol, I was able to concentrate on the projects on my desk and actually enjoy my work. I was also able to get back to eating normally, which is going to be very important next week. I ate lots of fruit and cheese and made a good pot of chili for dinner. I think the snow put me in the mood.

On Sunday, when I went to my GP, I only weighed 91 lbs. in heavy clothing. I'm not sure if I will weigh enough to start Arava when I see my rheumatologist on the 3rd. He wanted me back up to 98 lbs., which means I need to gain a pound a day, and I'm not a good gainer. I may have to carry some rocks in my pockets to make up the difference.

Since I stopped the methotrexate back in August, my RA is not at all controlled. I've had to take way too much prednisone and tramadol. I'm ready for a shot at something different. It would be great if I could achieve a remission, even a short one. It would be so wonderful to wake up, put my feet on the floor and not want to cry or go more than a day without having to take pain meds. It is hard to believe that I was diagnosed with RA more than 3 years ago and it is still not controlled.

With RA treatment, you can't be in a hurry. The medicines take so long to work and this is the second time that my weight has delayed starting a DMARD. It's try this, wait 3 months, increase the dose, wait 3 months, increase the dose, wait three months, try a new med, wait three months and before you know it, 3 years have gone by and you've not seen a difference. This disease will teach you real patience.

Good days happen every now and then, like today. They might suprise you, like they do me. Don't waste them when they do come. Make sure you acknowledge them and are thankful. Tomorrow may not offer the same pleasures. Enjoy even the smallest things, like a surprise snow storm or good pot of chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment